National units of competency
- CPPFES2005 Demonstrate First Attack Firefighting Equipment
Application and Relevance
This course provides the theory and practice needed to safely and effectively use a fire extinguisher, fire hose reel and fire blanket. Through innovative technology, participants will gain practical experience in using each piece of equipment to extinguish real fires in a safe and controlled environment.
In particular the learner will be able to demonstrate the ability to:
- Select correct portable firefighting equipment for a particular type of fire
- Demonstrate the use of portable firefighting equipment including fire extinguishers, fire hose reels and fire blankets
- Use portable firefighting equipment safely and correctly
- Correct firefighting techniques and safety procedures
To optimise effective use of fire extinguishers, personnel should be trained in the use of fire extinguishers to ensure their effectiveness. Training of personnel in the use of extinguishers is particularly desirable in buildings requiring a high degree of life safety.
Topics include and are not limited to:
- How fires spread
- Mechanics of Extinguishing a fire
- Fire Tetrahedron
- Raising the alarm
- Fire Safety and Evacuation
- Classes of Fire
- Types of Fire Extinguishers
- Safety procedures when fighting fires
- Firefighting Techniques
- Selecting correct portable firefighting equipment for a particular type of fire
- Demonstrate the use of portable firefighting equipment
- Fire Hose Reels
- Fire Blankets
Extra training is available in the operation of fire hydrants, lay flat hoses, and fog and foam nozzles if required.
Training conducted by experienced evacuation and rescue specialists
Up to 4 hours classroom, practical training and assessment
There are no prerequisite units.
Number of Participants: 10
Requirement: Provide Unique Student Identifier (USI number) and ID
Equipment: All training materials are supplied by Zokal Safety Training
Meals: Full Day Courses – Lunch will be provided and light refreshments will be provided at morning break (only on our premises). Half Day Courses – Light refreshments will be provided at morning break (only on our premises)
Dress: Students are required to wear CLEAN clothing appropriate for the workplace and CLEAN covered shoes. Students are required to wear gloves during practical components of this course. Please bring them with you on the day.
All other equipment used will be supplied by Zokal Safety Training.
Customer Workplace Training: For training on a customer site we require a fire hose reel that can be used in the practical component of training.
PARTICIPANTS MUST BE ABLE TO COMMUNICATE IN ENGLISH, AND MUST BE ABLE TO FILL OUT ALL NECESSARY DOCUMENTATION.
This is a competency based programme with progressive assessment throughout the course, including demonstration of written and oral questions relating to underpinning knowledge. Please let us know if there are any issues that your Zokal trainer should be aware of. These may include:
- Language, Literacy and Numeracy
- Physical limitations, such as hearing, vision or mobility concerns
- Anything that may affect your experience in the training course
Nationally – recognised accreditation such as a wallet card and Statement of Attainment Certificate as outlined above will be issued on satisfactory completion of all assessments, to successful participants
Refer to the Student handbook for policies ad procedures pertaining to training and education.
Students are required to wear gloves during practical components of this course. Please bring them with you on the day.