Provide first aid in an ESI environment - UETTDRRF10
This unit is designed to provide participants with the skills required to manage and provide essential first-aid in an emergency within an ESI environment and to be able to identify the additional risks associated with this environment.
Application and Relevance
Electrical supply network owners require that work undertaken in proximity to their assets is performed ‘by people’ who are suitably qualified. This unit of competency meets part of that expectation.
The unit will provide participants with the skills to effectively deal with an emergency situation in the workplace that may require administering effective use of first aid skills, coupled with CPR, and it meets the duty of care required when participants are required to work in close proximity to live electrical parts.
Topics include and are not limited to:
- Recognise an emergency and act to minimise immediate hazards to themselves and others
- Introduction to first aid principles including Electrical specific injury
- Assessing a cardiac emergency - DRSABCD principal
- Resuscitation techniques
- Using a defibrillator (AED)
- Undertake emergency care of a casualty
- Be respectful and recognise the need for accurate confidential records and reporting requirements that meet legislative and organisational needs.
- Training conducted by experienced first aid specialist trainer/assessor
- Associated documentation
- Manual, Manikins or actors for role playing scenarios
- Mobile phone or other communications equipment
- First aid gloves and masks
- Water and/or hydrogel
- Bandages, padding and splints
- Incident reports
- 4 Hours classroom, practical training and assessment
Participants require refresher training every 12 months in order to maintain satisfactory levels of emergency preparedness and stay current in CPR.
HLTAID001 Provide Cardiopulmonary resuscitation or qualifications deemed equivalent. Participants will need oral communication skills in order to make an accurate verbal report to emergency services and workplace supervisor
This is a competency-based program with progressive assessment throughout the course, including demonstration of written and oral questions relating to underpinning knowledge.
You will be assessed on performing ESI environment scenario and task demonstrations to:
- Assess and control hazards to first aider, casualty and others
- Undertaking involvement of external emergency services
- Use available first aid equipment and resources
- Provide injury management using first aid principles
- Treat electrical shock
- Treat burns
- Treat bleeding
- Treat shock
- Provide PIT for snake/spider bite
Please let us know if there are any issues that your Zokal trainer should be aware of. These may include:
- Language, Literacy and Numeracy
- Physical limitations, such as hearing, vision or mobility concerns
- Anything that may affect your experience in the training course